The Authors of Writes of Passage

The Authors of Writes of Passage

Thursday, August 26, 2010

"C" is for "Chocolate"

I suppose it's no secret I love chocolate. The standing joke among my students during my teaching years was, "To make Mrs. S happy, bring her chocolate!" So when Hubby and I checked into our hotel Monday night in Walnut Creek, Ohio, the first thing I noticed was the hotel resided next to a Coblentz Chocolate Factory. I couldn't wait to visit.




We headed over right after breakfast on Tuesday. Unfortunately, the store didn't open until 9:00. That fifteen minute wait was excruciating. I couldn't resist peeking through the window at all the goodies while counting down the minutes.


One of the workers spotted me and took pity. She let me in two minutes early. I thanked her profusely.

Inside, it was awfully hard to limit my selections. Hubs insisted I had to be reasonable--after all, our suitcases were already plenty full. When I suggested I could eat the chocolate before leaving Ohio, he asked, "Just how much chocolate do you think you can consume in a week?" Then he rolled his eyes and added, "Never mind. Dumb question." Yep, that man knows me well.

I browsed, nearly drooling on the display case glass that stood between me and bonbons, truffles, dainty pecan turtles, and quarter pound blocks of fudge. After nearly forty-five minutes of handwringing and careful thought, I had what I considered to be a reasonable stack of goodies and it was time to check out.


At every booksigning, I've carried the sack of chocolate into the store with me. This serves a twofold purpose: 1) the chocolate doesn't melt in the warm car; and 2) no one has an opportunity to break into the vehicle and take it. (Hubs told me I was being a little paranoid concerning reason 2, but hey, I know what can happen when a chocoholic spots a bag of delectable chocolates. I'm not taking any chances.)

I intend to share the chocolate with my parents, children, and a few friends when I return to Kansas on Monday. Until then, this chocolate isnt leaving my sight!

(BTW, Hubs and I are having a wonderful time in Ohio. We've seen beautiful landscapes, photographed dozens of century-old houses or barns, and visited with some of the nicest people to inhabit the earth. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to visit this wonderful state! I'll tell you more about the tour next week when I'm home again.)

May God bless you muchly as you journey with Him! ~Kim

8 comments:

  1. 'Lo Kim ! What a trip you are having. I love the photos of the Choccy factory.
    You could be on a winner here....Book signing with choccies to go with it...way to go! Your book sales would escalate sky high!
    I want to know whether you will make it home without eating any of them!

    My son is manager for a chocolate company, and all the younger family members love to visit their Uncle Andy. Usually come home with a grin from ear to ear and pockets full of chocolate goodies, much to their Mothers' despair.

    At this very moment, my husband is sitting eating a chocolate coated icecream and appears to be enjoying every mouthful!

    In October, I am off to a conference in Tasmania and I just know where my hubby will be, while I am closeted away,debating the rules and regulations of Nursing! He has already decided a tour of the Cadbury Chocolate factory is a "must" and keeps reminding me of the fact...Ah me..(sigh)

    Am looking forward to reading about the remainder of your trip. In the meantime, we will pray for a safe return to Kansas for you both,(with the chocs intact!)

    'Til next time.

    Rosie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim!
    After drooling...oops I mean seeing those pictures, the only thing I can say is CHOC-O-LATE (Just how the Cookie Monster says COOOOOKIE). See... now I have to bust the vending machine and get a stale bag of peanut M&M's to hold me over. LOL ! Great pictures! Happy that you and your husband are having a fantastic time! When you bite into that CHOC-O-LATE, make sure you think of us folks out here in cyberland and send up a prayer that we safely find our way to the nearest store to buy some CHOC-O-LATE. THANKS Kim (smile) (just kidding)
    Seriously have a great time, can't wait to hear more about your trip!
    Luv ya! Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Oh Kim! Have just found out that the Cadbury's chocolate factory in Tasmania, no longer has guided tours! My Hubby will juat have to be content "oggling" the Choccies in the Visitors Centre.

    Not looking forward to telling him this, "not so great news!"

    Bye for now,

    Rosie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO glad you're having a wonderful trip, Kim. Loved your post---it made me chuckle! Thanks for sharing the pictures too---I must say you look very youthful, so being in a candy store must definitely "bring out the kid in you" *grin*. Hugs, Patti Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a wonderful store! I perked up at the mention of "chocolate turtles." Yum! Glad you enjoyed your trip, it sounds like it's been a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don limited you to what you could pack in your suitcase??? Hasn't he ever heard of UPS? And for the record, you were very sensible to protect your stash.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kim, Loved the post and the pictures. You are a girl after my own heart! Praying you have continued blessings on your book tour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rosie, I hope your hubs will find some chocolate fun anyway. :o)

    Veronica, all I've eaten so far is the chocolate covered blueberries and cherries. I've exhibited more control than I knew I had! lol

    Hi, Patti Jo! SOOO good to see you!

    Rhonda, the chocolate turtles were amazing....*sigh*

    Connie, I got some funny looks when i carried my bag of chocolate into a restaurant, but I'm not taking any chances. :o)

    Debbie, I hope you're feeling better by know. Keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

We're so glad you're here. Thanks for your comment!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.