The Authors of Writes of Passage

The Authors of Writes of Passage

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Ever had Scripture knock you for a loop?

Well, I did. Yesterday. But first...

I'm so excited! I've signed up for my first BSF. Bible Study Fellowship. I've heard about these in-depth Bible studies for years but have never been part of one, until this fall. We'll be studying Isaiah, so I've already been reading back through the book, revisiting sections that are familiar while happening across others and thinking, "I know I've read Isaiah before so I've read this but...whoa!"

Have you ever had one of those moments when Scripture knocks you flat out, spiritually speaking? I had one of those moments yesterday. I was reading along, came to Ch 44, and read this:

This is what the Lord says––Israel's King and Redeemer, the Lord of Heaven's Armies:
"I am the First and the Last; there is no other God. Who is like me? Let him step forward and prove to you his power. Let him do as I have done since ancient times when I established a people and explained its future. Do not tremble; do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim my purposes to you long ago? You are my witnesses––is there any other God? No! There is no other Rock––not one!"

I read that and it took my breath away. I was still sitting in my chair in my office, but my heart went to its knees. I was overwhelmed by the greatness of God. By his timelessness. By his protective, even jealous, nature. By the passion he feels for us. By the investment he's made in us. By the time he's taken to provide for us, and to speak his Word not only into being, into flesh, as if that weren't enough. But then to also give us his tangible word to hold, to feed on every day. Daily bread by which to live. And finally, I was overwhelmed by his tenderness. His patience. Then I came to that final question: "Is there any other God?" I couldn't contain it. I just shouted out loud (thankfully no one was home, though Jack was a little startled), "No, Lord! There. Is. No. Other. Rock. NOT ONE!" And I came full circle, overwhelmed by his power and glory and greatness all over again.

I can hardly wait to study the book of Isaiah this fall, and I'm already praying to be knocked flat on my butt. Repeatedly! And I'm praying you'll have similar moments and join me there.

~ Tammy

Some quick business--
If you have a Kindle OR if you've downloaded the Kindle Application to your Mac or PC), I want to let you know that, in conjunction with the current release of Within My Heart, my publisher is offering From a Distance (the first book in the Timber Ridge Reflections series) FREE THIS MONTH ONLY. No catches. No gimmicks. Nothing to buy. Simply click here to download.

Feel free to pass this link along to others. And remember, you don't have to own a Kindle to read Kindle books. You just have to download the Kindle application and install it on your Mac or PC. Any questions? Ask Robin, she knows everything.

And to see pics from my birthday outing on Sunday, bop over to Facebook.

8 comments:

  1. You're absolutely right, Tammy. God is so passionate about His love for us, His investment in our lives, and His involvement in every little detail, no one can compare. Right now, we're in the middle of buying a house, and despite the devil's attempts to thwart things, God is demonstrating to us that He has everything under control. It's both humbling and awe-inspiring.

    You're going to have a fantastic time working your way through Isaiah. Looking forward to hearing about your discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for your house purchase, Tiff, and all that God has yet to reveal to you (and us) about Himself And to think, this life is just the beginning...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your birthday was wonderful, Tammy! ~ Loved your post today, and I must share I've also experienced re-reading Bible passages and something jumps out at me - - I always figure the Lord is really trying to get my attention! Hugs, Patti Jo
    p.s.Would appreciate prayers for healing...I am still recuperating from my surgeries, then got "knocked down" by a terrible stomach virus over the weekend. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Patti Jo, I'm so sorry about the complications in healing. Praying for a hedge around you, lady, and for a complete and swift return to full health.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tammy, you will love BSF and the study! I was a part of BSF for years and a discussion leader--it was the most enriching study.

    Blessings on you and your writing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Crystal, and returning those blessings, lady. Still treasure our ACFW conference time those years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the book of Isaiah. When I wasn't writing fiction this last year, I wrote a Bible study on the King's of Judah. A lof of Isaiah correlates with the kings. I agree with Mrs. Stockton--you will have a blast studying this book. Especially if you're going an intensive,in-depth study. This book is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds wonderful, Holly. I can't wait to dive in!

    ReplyDelete

We're so glad you're here. Thanks for your comment!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.